Title: What a Man Can't Do
Author:
lorraine_falls (AKA shrieking_ell)
Rating:
PG-13
Pairing:
Sparrington
Disclaimer:
Own nothing related to Disney or POTC. Except the DVD. Written entirely for my own entertainment. May the Mouse forgive me.
Feedback:
Please! Criticism, etc. lorraine_falls@yahoo.com
Beta:
yoiebear with additional assistance from Alicia Graybill.
Warning:
This is for the dark side of the challenge. Mentions of past abuse/rape. Noncon. Character death.
Summary:
One event changes Norrington's life forever. Jack doesn't know how to deal with the consequences or his own feelings.

What a Man Can't Do
by lorraine_falls

* * *

 

Part I - Take What You Can

"Man overboard!" The shout was followed shortly by a splash as a man dove in after the unfortunate boy who had lost his grip while climbing the rigging.

Captain Jack Sparrow flew up the companionway from his cabin, shouting orders as fast as he could. Within moments, the ship was hove-to and a boat was lowered. The dripping man and boy were safely back aboard and the ship under way again in no time. The boy was whisked below by many worried hands, while the man stood defiantly, daring any to say a word to him.

"Norrington, in my cabin, now." Jack Sparrow gave the order and the wet man followed him silently.

"Just what are you playin' at, Commodore?" Sparrow asked, rummaging through his trunks until he found a set of relatively clean and dry clothing. He tossed the shirt and breeches to the other man who caught them and turned his back, beginning to strip himself of the wet garments.

"I don't play, Sparrow. I was saving the boy's life."

"But he's a pirate. Why save a pirate when you will most likely have to hang him later anyway?"

"He is a child. He deserves a chance."

"Ah, so you have a heart, after all, Mr. Stone-Faced Commodore," Sparrow said as he approached the wet man with a towel. Gently, he began to dry the other man's back. He looked closer and stiffened slightly as he ran his hand over the rigid lines of the scars he found there. Marks like these were rarely found on any officer, and were completely unexpected on the aristocratic Commodore. "That's interesting. You've made the acquaintance of the wrong end of the cat."

"Yes." He did not elaborate.

"Want to tell old Jack how it happened?"

"No."

"C'mon, you're my prisoner here, I could make you tell me."

Norrington turned and looked at him. "No you couldn't. Now leave it be." His face was as hard and cold as Jack had ever seen it.

"But there's a story here, I can tell, might be almost as good as some of mine." Jack fingered the bullet holes in his chest as he said this.

"If you're so bloody interested, go ask Gibbs. He was there." Norrington sat at the table, rubbing his temples with his fingers. Jack left him there and ambled up to Gibbs and started asking questions.

Gibbs answered, "Aye, I were there. Bad business, that." He took a long pull from his flask.

"So what happened to him?"

"I'm sorry, Captain, it be bad luck to be tellin' another man's stories before he wants 'em told.

"But he told me to ask you," Jack wheedled.

"The only thing I can say is that day is what made me leave the Navy." He drank again. He added, "and it changed Norrington. He never smiled after that."

"You mean he ever smiled?"

"Aye, one of the best young officers around. Knew all the men by name. Could joke with a body but knew his ship and didn't tolerate bad sailors. Still a good sailor now..."

Jack was intrigued. Apparently there was more to the Commodore than serving others. He knew he would eventually find out the information he wanted and until then he had Norrington to have fun with. He still wasn't entirely sure what had possessed him to kidnap the man.

Several days later, Jack decided that the time was right to begin his plans for the Commodore. The man actually appeared to be almost enjoying himself now under Jack's constant barrage of teasing, touching, and innuendo. He went to search him out and found him at the bow, leaning over the railing and staring pensively at the water. A few feet behind him, the two pirates Jack had assigned to make sure he didn't do anything stupid were slumped against each other, faces relaxed in their unconscious state.

"You didn't hurt them too much, did you?" Jack gestured at the slumbering pirates.

"No. They should be fine in a few hours. I wanted to be alone."

"Ah. Of course. And now that you've had some time alone, why don't you come to the cabin with me for dinner."

Norrington nodded once and followed him.

After dinner, they were sitting in Jack's cabin, a bottle on the table between them. Conversation had run out and the two men shared a surprisingly companionable silence with their mugs of rum.

"More rum, Commodore?" Jack was surprised that it took as little effort as it had to get Norrington to start drinking the stuff.

"Why not, I'm on a pirate ship, it's not as if I need to be doing anything in the morning, anyway."

The dishes were cleared and a second bottle was opened.

"How about a game of cards, Commodore?"

"If you'd like, Sparrow."

"Captain, Captain Sparrow. Why does everyone forget that?"

A few minutes later, when the cards were dealt, Jack leaned in and asked, "Are you a betting man, Commodore?"

"Captain Sparrow, I have nothing to bet with as you may have noticed."

"'M not talking about money, luv, I want to play for information."

"You know I cannot divulge anything about the Navy and its whereabouts."

"Not navy information, information of a more personal nature. Winning hand gets to ask losing hand one question, loser answers, no backing out."

Norrington's response was positive, if slightly slurred. "And all answers must be the truth, no fantastical stories." He looked sternly at Jack.

"Agreed, mate." Jack dealt the first round. Of course, he won.

"All right, Commodore Norrington, what's your first name?"

"James."

"Good. James, I'm Jack, let's dispense with the titles for tonight." He smiled at James who pressed his lips together and looked away.

After that, the game continued, another bottle of rum was consumed, and James won a surprising number of hands.

"What's your real name, Jack?"

"Don't know. All anyone ever called me was Jack that I can remember. The Sparrow part came later."

"How did you really escape the East India Company?"

"Do you have any brothers?"

"Where were you born?"

"Why the navy?"

"Impersonating a clergyman?"

And so on until Jack asked the question he was waiting for. "How'd you get the scars on your back, James?"

The mood shifted immediately from playful to deadly serious. James looked at Jack. "The game is over." He stood.

"What about men of our word and all that?" Jack pressed him.

"Bastard."

"Oh come on, how bad can it be?" Jack was hoping for some common ground, a shared experience that might draw the man closer to him. A similar set of marks adorned his own back, a souvenir of a brief time he had spent on a king's ship after being impressed and before escaping over the side.

James swallowed the rest of the rum in his glass and poured himself another measure. Downed that one as well. Jack realized that he might have asked for more than he was ready to hear.

Norrington started speaking in a low tone. "When I was first made Lieutenant, I served in a ship called the Calliope. Bill Hunt was the captain of her." Jack's face twitched involuntarily at the name of the ship and he gripped his mug tighter at the name of the captain.

"So you've heard of them, then. Well this was some months before the mutiny..." He took another gulp of rum. "We had taken a pirate ship off the Barbary Coast. Loaded with gold and spices. There was a hold full of prisoners from it and Hunt decided that they didn't need food or water until we reached Portsmouth for the trials. We were over a week away...Only one sailor on that ship dared to give them water to keep them alive until trial."

He looked at Jack. "No, it wasn't me. It was Joshamee Gibbs. When Gibbs was caught and brought before Hunt, he went into a black rage. Worse than I had ever seen him. He wasn't about to wait until Tuesday, that was our day for punishment on the Calliope, for this one and he wasn't waiting for anyone to speak for him. He gave the order for forty lashes and was about to have him seized to the rigging when I spoke up. Oh how stupid and brave I was then. Of course, I thought I was invincible and I didn't really think he'd do anything to an officer. I told him that Gibbs was acting under my direct orders. He ordered me to take the punishment in place of him. So it was me they seized up instead."

Jack looked at the man in front of him. He knew as well as any sailor that forty lashes with the cat'o'nine tails was almost a death sentence. "Did you...did they, the full forty?" he asked.

"I don't know. I passed out at 36. I think so. When I came to, I had been cut down and they were dousing my back with salt water. I don't think any of them thought it would help me but I was young and strong and I knew I would survive it." James looked around without seeing the cabin, lost in his memories. The fear on his face was apparent to Jack. He was silent for some moments.

"That's not all to the story is there?" Jack asked gently. They had left the chairs and table behind and were both sprawled on the floor, leaning against the bulkheads, the rum between them.

"No." James poured more rum into his cup, drank it down and added more. "I've never spoken the rest to anyone. Why should I start with you?"

"Because I'm Captain Jack Sparrow." Jack smiled, a little hollowly. James stared at him, disappointment on his face and turned away. Jack reached for him and looked at him, all humor gone. "Because you need to tell someone and I'm the best you've got." James nodded, took a few breaths and continued.

"I was lying on deck, barely able to move when Hunt came up to me and spat at me. He said that if I loved the damned pirates so much, then I could bunk with them for the rest of the trip. I was clapped in irons, not that they needed them with the state I was in, and thrown into the brig with the pirates. They... they... For three days I was with them and they took out all their anger on me..in ways...," he swallowed hard. Jack knew what was coming and he moved closer to the other man, offering his own self against the demons that still haunted him. He took hold of James's hand and gently stroked it.

"They...I...You know, I don't think I screamed once during the flogging but I don't think I stopped screaming for the next three days. There were 500 men on that ship and not one ever came down to help me. Not one. There were fifteen men in the cell with me and every one took his turn. I couldn't do anything. Jack, I couldn't stop it. I tried but ..." Tears coursed down his face.

Jack took him in his arms and gently rocked him. "Sshh, Jamie love, it's all right."

James sat up and looked at him, "No. No it's not all right. I was 18 years old and my captain beat me almost to death and then I was raped. They raped me, Jack and took away everything I was." Suddenly the silent tears gave way to great heaving sobs. Jack awkwardly held on and rubbed the sweaty back. A long time later, the heaves subsided; James straightened up and moved off slightly. Jack got up and brought him a glass of water that he held in both hands as he drank.

He set the glass down on the deck beside him. Looked at Jack. Who looked back at him with a disturbingly serious expression on his face. James spoke again. "Jack, I don't want your pity so just stop. It happened. And now you're the third man in the Caribbean who knows, so please do not add it to your repertoire of tales."

"First, it's not pity, mate. It's sympathy. Totally different thing, really. And second, my stories have happy endings and feature me, neither of which is true of yours. And speaking of endings, how did you end up here after that? I mean, why on earth did you stay in the navy?"

"It was all I knew. Hunt had quite a few friends in the Admiralty and he made up some story about me being captured and tortured by the pirates. I don't think too many believed him, though, because as soon as I was fit for duty, both Gibbs and I were transferred here. I think they just wanted the problem to go away. I guess it worked in a way. After the mutiny, the Calliope was sunk with all hands by a couple of first-rates, Gibbs left the service, and they knew I would never speak of it." He suddenly looked tired, very tired, and young and vulnerable. Jack led him to the bed and tucked him in. He looked back at the sleeping man once and left the cabin.

Jack was still at the taffrail, staring into the Pearl's luminous wake when Gibbs came to relieve the helm for the morning watch. As the rosy streaks of dawn began to appear, he finally broke his silence and turned to Gibbs.

"Gibbs, why did you let me bring him on board, when you knew...?"

"Jack, I told you at the time, it would be bad luck," Gibbs reproached.

"But you say everything is bad luck, how was I to know the difference?"

"I'm sorry, Jack, but you're a difficult man to dissuade when you've a mind to take something. Just why did you want him here? I never did understand that."

"I liked the look of him. And he was a challenge. I like challenges. And I wanted to flirt with him...There'll be no more flirting after this," he intoned dejectedly.

"So he told you the whole story, then?"

"Yes. How could that man...? And those pirates...?"

"Jack, not all pirates are honorable, like you."

"I know that."

"So what are you going to do now, Jack?"

"I don't know. All me plans are ruined. Can't try seducing him now. Not after what's happened to him." Jack remembered the bottle of rum at his side and took a swallow.

"Were you really going to, Jack?"

"Of course. I told you. I liked him."

"But what now, Jack? Do you still like him?"

"No. He's been so damaged. And so stoic and brave. No, I don't like him anymore. Now I'm bloody well in love with him." Jack's tone was angry when he admitted this.

"What? Jack, are you sure? You've never said that about anyone."

"I know, Gibbs. Been thinking about it all night since he fell asleep. He is the one person in all my life that I would put before my own self every time. I never would have figured it out if he hadn't told me what happened to him. But now, how can I do anything about it? I never had much chance of actually getting him to come round to me before, but now? I'm a pirate and a captain. How can he look at me with anything but hatred? Not to mention all their laws and morals and such. What the hell can I do now?"

"Mebbe you should just tell him, Jack?"

"Nah, that'll never work. I'm just going to have to keep my hands to myself and hope for friendship. Not much chance of that, either. I'll think of something."

The subsequent few days were uncomfortable for Jack. All his mannerisms changed around the Commodore. Where once he would have been joking and touching, now he would pull his hand back, shut his mouth and step slightly away. He thought James looked sometimes relieved by this new Jack Sparrow and sometimes confused. He utterly failed to recognize the disappointment and hurt that James was a master at hiding.

As Jack's tension mounted, he spoke less and drank more. And more. That evening, Jack was drunker than he ever was. His body responded before his muddled mind could stop it. He was staring at James, rock hard and hungry and before he knew how it happened, he had James pushed against the wall, his arms on either side of his shoulders and his erection pressing obviously into the man's thigh. "Want you, James. So much," he couldn't help saying. He felt James's body stiffen and go still against him. James uttered no protest, though. Jack looked into his eyes and saw the fear in them. He wrenched himself away and ran blindly from the cabin. He did not return that night.

The next morning, the Pearl left the Commodore on the dock at Port Royal. Before he left, Jack said, "I'm sorry. For everything." He felt inadequate. James said nothing in response. He just stood on the dock and stared at the retreating ship.

Part II – Give Nothing Back

More than one person noticed James's distraction when he returned to his duties. No one said anything to him, though. His officers would never dare and he had no close friends beyond the Navy. His time on Jack's ship had vividly brought back memories and feelings he had believed to be long since banished. There were other thoughts and feelings as well, a confused tangle of them that he had no idea how to separate and tame. Jack, himself, was in the center of that Gordian knot and when James analyzed what had occurred on the Black Pearl, he realized that of all the people in his life, Jack Sparrow was the closest thing he had to an equal counterpart. Perhaps that was why he had felt comfortable enough around the man to tell his terrible secret to him. But, Jack's reaction afterwards, his nervousness, his refusal to return to the easy banter that had lowered his defenses in the first place, made him wish that he had never started that stupid game with Jack.

Two weeks later, a package arrived, addressed to Commodore Norrington. No one knew how it had arrived, neatly wrapped, at the door to his office. Cautiously, he opened it and found inside nothing but a square of black cloth. When he unfolded it, he found himself to be staring at a Jolly Roger, holed in several places, with an hourglass on the side of a grinning skull. He knew that flag, he was sure of it. He called Lieutenant Groves into his office.

"Mr. Groves, what do you make of this?" he asked, showing him the flag.

"Sir, that's the flag of Black Pete Ransom. He's one of the worst terrors of the Caribbean. He sails from Bridgetown and preys on small merchants. It's rumored that he torments the women and children he finds on board until the men give up their secret caches of stores and money. If they have given him all they have and surrender, he does it anyway. Where did you get that?"

"I found it on my doorstep today. No messages, no markings on the package other than my own name."

"How strange. But someone has done us a great favor, getting rid of that one."

"So it would seem. Thank you lieutenant, you are dismissed." He watched Groves turn and go and pondered the mystery of the flag.

After another week, another packaged flag appeared mysteriously. This one was unmistakable, the skeleton with its bloody heart staring at him from the torn fabric. Savage Sam who, in a cruel parody of the native cultures he had seen in the Americas, took the scalps of all the victims he plundered.

In the following five weeks, he found three more flags on his doorstep. Some of the most dangerous and despicable pirates he had ever come across were now no more. The last came with a short note that read, "I do this for you." It was unsigned. It didn't matter, though. His patrols and intelligence network had supplied a name to their unknown benefactor.

Groves was in his office again, sitting with him and sharing a glass of port and staring at the latest flag and the note. In the past weeks, his pirate expert had taken to coming to visit him just after dinner to discuss the latest news on the flags and pirates. James found himself opening up slightly to him in a way that would have been impossible before his stay on the Black Pearl. Once again they were discussing the enigma of Jack Sparrow. Why was he hunting down and destroying his fellow pirates?

Groves asked for what felt like the hundredth time, "Are you sure, sir, that nothing happened between you while you were on his ship?"

For a very brief moment, James almost told him then entire story, his past, how Sparrow treated him both before and after hew found out, his own feeling for Sparrow, everything that had been pressing so heavily on his mind since his return. He shook his head impatiently. "No, Lieutenant, there is nothing to tell. He treated me relatively well and after I rescued one of his crew from drowning, he decided not to keep me and returned me here." He wondered if his lie was apparent.

James was out on the Dauntless, determined to find and catch Sparrow now and discover the true cause of his strange behavior. With a stiff wind on her beam, the ship was moving steadily to the last known coordinates of the Black Pearl when the lookout spotted sails two points forward of the starboard beam.

James stared at the scene unfolding through his telescope. Some miles away a big black ship was surrounded by a number of much smaller vessels. None of them singly could do much damage to the galleon, but together, they could harry the Black Pearl until she succumbed.

"Commodore, we have to help him. Sir, please. Look what he's been doing these past few weeks," Lieutenant Groves spoke to him.

"And how, Mr.Groves, do you suggest we do that? We cannot sail directly into the teeth of this wind." He knew he was letting his anger and frustration at his helpless position leak out with his words. The most powerful ship in the Caribbean was helplessly tacking back and forth towards the Black Pearl, but it would be hours before she could make up those few miles to the ships battling directly to windward.

Scant minutes later, their belated rescue was moot. A resounding, echoing explosion shook the Black Pearl and suddenly where there were formerly six ships in their telescopes, now there were only three and a rain of smoking debris. A lucky shot must have touched off the Pearl's magazine and she blew sky high, taking two of her tormentors with her. The remaining three fled before the wind.

James continued to the site of the wreckage, hoping that when he arrived, he would find survivors. One particular survivor. Sparrow had to be alive; his luck saw him through everything.

When they reached the smoking flotsam, he put all the ship's boats over, and had them searching for hours. They found no one. He was in the last boat to return, scanning the water for any movement, any sound. The rays of the setting sun reflected off something glinting in the water. He directed the boat towards it, his mouth dry with hope. It was Sparrow's compass, cracked and floating near a battered leather tricorn hat. He reached down and picked both from the water. No sign of Jack Sparrow accompanied his effects. His boat rowed back and forth over the water until it was too dark to see the oars.

Norrington made his solitary way aft to his lonely cabin. There he sat and fingered the worn leather tricorn in his hands. The dark stains on the band could have been sweat. Or blood. He looked closer at the inside of the band. There was a folded scrap of paper stuck there. He pulled it out and carefully unfolded it. He started in surprise when he saw his own name at the top in the same handwriting as that on the scrap of paper he now carried in his waistcoat pocket.

"My Dear James,

I am truly sorry for how I behaved toward you while you were my guest on the Black Pearl. I have feelings for you that are unacceptable and yet they consume me more every day. You are an honorable man and I am nothing but a pirate and a scallywag, scheming to take what he does not deserve. If there were any way for me to avenge the wrongs done to you, believe me, I would. I have begun my current emprise with the idea that ridding the seas of the truly despicable pirates who sail these waters would ease your mind. I hope it has and that your opinion of me is not as bad as it once was.

It is my fervent wish that when we are both old men together, someday I will show this letter to you and we both may laugh at how stupid I was when we were younger and how dramatic everything seemed then. It appears that my life is not complete without you. The Black Pearl is my freedom, but you are my salvation.

All my love,
Jack Sparrow"

 

James Norrington sat in his darkening cabin, the letter crushed in his fist, and mourned for everything he had lost.





* * *